Day 1: Beginning Life as a Graduate


Welcome to my graduate diary! I am back to my blog and with a fresh new perspective... a day by day guide to my life as a (currently) unemployed psychology graduate! Being a graduate in 2017 comes with it's own challenges and complications and what better way to cope with those challenges than to document them all to share with fellow graduates to convince yourself and others that you're not alone! I hope you enjoy this little series for as long as being a graduate trying to discover herself allows. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 1: Beginning Life as a Graduate

I have been a graduate for exactly 9 days and let me tell you something honestly. It is scary. If you didn't already know (because,surprisingly, you are not my mum or boyfriend - the only people who currently read my blog/are interested in my life) I studied Psychology at Royal Holloway University of London and graduated with a 2:1 (69.7% to be fair - another post for another day about how infuriating that was...) and a passion for helping those in need through well-being practices! Hence many of my other posts (my last post being over a year ago... oooooppps) were focused on mindfulness, kindness, well-being, taking care of your mental health and so on. Now that I am no longer a student, currently surfing the job market, unemployed with a lot of time on my hands, and the natural tendency to get bored and frustrated with free time very easily, I thought I would start this little personal diary of my experiences as a graduate hoping that someone out there can relate and maybe find some comfort that we're all in this together! ✌

Graduation was quite possibly the most memorable and amazing day of my life. I was so happy to be a graduate, emotions were high, I had all my loved ones around me celebrating the hard work and dedication I had put into my degree for the last 3 years and I was walking out with my certificate in hand ready to take on the world! I decided by the end of 2nd year that I didn't want to do a masters at this point in my life, I was ready for a break in education, so now I was just excited about getting out into the working world, I had already applied for some jobs with a long list of further ones to apply for! A few days before graduation I had actually got an email inviting me to my first ever job interview for the role as a Trainee Psychological Well-being Practitioner - literally the perfect role for me to kick start my career! I was so shocked and honestly amazed because I was doubting myself when applying for the job in the first place as I felt that I didn't meet the criteria exactly. But I ended up with an interview and was so excited as I had a purpose and a real chance at my first break in employment and wasn't even officially a graduate yet!
Long story short, I had the interview on Wednesday, heard back today and was unsuccessful. But I had some amazing feedback from the interview panel and it's only inspired me and motivated me further to smash the next interview! Either way I was happy with the outcome, first interview done and I now have the experience and confidence to do more!

So now this dark cloud sits above me and I am trying to ignore it, be positive (because this wouldn't be a happiness and positivity blog if I didn't) and move forward. But the reality is, graduate life is daunting and it's going to be tough. I am not naive to that, I fully get that and I am ready for it. Doesn't mean that it won't be challenging and disheartening at times. I have only just started on this journey and it will only get more difficult from here... but, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel and I am young with so much to look forward to.

So come at me graduate life because I am ready to take you on.


P.S. I use brackets way too much. I will work on that. xo


Jobs applied for: 8
Interviews: 1
Rejections: 2
Offers: 0

No comments